Rugged Individualist. Certified USA Triathlon Coach & NASM Personal Trainer, Men's Self Improvement Coach. President of Go Farther Sports. National Ranked Triathlete & 100 Mile Grand Slam Ultrarunner, only the fourth New Yorker to finish four of the oldest and most prestigious 100 mile ultramarathons in the U.S. in only 10 weeks.

Thursday, March 4, 2021

A Racing Season in 2021? Look to TX, MS, ID, SD, and FL. Other States Look for Cancellation Policies

We dare to have a race season in 2021?

Part my job to my competitive athletes I coach is finding out if races will actually start and what their policies are amid the craziness we have been seeing this past year. For instance, some runs now, instead of a mass start (all runners go at once), will start individuals out 10 seconds apart to maintain "social distancing." Other policies include what happens to those registered if the race is forced to cancel. Sometimes a race will defer people to a later race, or some have partial or full refunds.

So now I find that it's my turn to see which races I'll do. At this point, I'm looking at 3 major races that I feel will go off with a good degree of certainty.

April 18 - Ironman 70.3 Florida in Haines City. Florida is governed by a based governor who started to do some restrictions early on but quickly reversed his decision and is now freely open for business. This race was deferred from last year and I'm happy to be doing it this year. I won't be in the best of shape (pool restrictions here in NY plus scrambling my business to expand and include virtual training has consumed my time to concentrate on my speed. I do have a good base though to give me a decent time in this race.

June 27 - Ironman Couer D'Alene. This is the full Ironman that I hope to be fully trained to do. This was deferred from Ironman Maryland last year. I decided to move the deferment to Idaho as I think it is the best race to get this race going. Maryland does have a Republican governor but it's basically a blue state; the cities' mayors are the ones doing the restrictions.

May 13-16 - Three Days at the Fair 72 hour race. This is a one mile loop and I have to run as many loops as possible in a 72 hour period. Last time I did this I ran exactly 200 miles and got my 200 mile belt buckle. I think I can do it again, using the same winning formula (80 miles on the first day, 60 on the second, 60 on the third). It's in NJ but it is entirely on private grounds, so that is a plus. And they actually did manage to do this race last year albeit in the fall. They also have a 6 day race for the truly insane, and 48 hour, 24 hour, 12 hour, 6 hour, and a certified marathon as well.

It'll be great to race again after a year of inactivity. My last race was the E Murray Todd Half Marathon a week before the Great Panic hit, with a time of 1:32, so I'm ready to rock and roll again.


Three Days at the Fari, with endless 1 mile loops

Who else is with me? 👍 😁 👍

No comments:

Post a Comment