Rugged Individualist. Certified USA Triathlon Coach & NASM Personal Trainer, Men's Self Improvement Coach. President of Go Farther Sports. National Ranked Triathlete & 100 Mile Grand Slam Ultrarunner, only the fourth New Yorker to finish four of the oldest and most prestigious 100 mile ultramarathons in the U.S. in only 10 weeks.

Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Preliminary Analysis of Strength Training on Competitive Aerobic Activities Such as Cycling and Running.

This is quite interesting. My weekly cycling and running mileage has been down for at least a month into the off-season. I have, however, been upping my core strength training...A LOT...both inside and outside the gym, for at least 3 times per week.

Lateral Bounding


Yesterday I went to Warinanco Park for a 20 mile time trial on my bike, about 11 laps of a 1.9 mile loop that has a small hill on it. Again, I have only been pushing around 50 miles of cycling per week after August.



I wound up doing 20.03 miles in 53:17, averaging 22.55 MPH on the bike. This is about the same as around my peak training period. And I felt much more stable on my bike, and also felt like I can push at least another 10 miles at this speed.
I'm very sure the stability at this speed is attributable to a much stronger core.
Amazing at what some weights, a slosh pipe, and even some simple squats and planks can do.

I really think that I can even push 25MPH on the bike next year at Olympic Distance Triathlons, including the one I just registered in Florida and the National Champs in Milwaukee. And if I assume this will translate into running too, if I can push close to 40 minutes in the 10K of that race, I will come awfully close to that 2 hour mark in those races.

Of course, a lot can happen between now and then, but this is concrete evidence that there is improvement here.

I'm pretty excited to see what happens in the coming weeks.

#triathlon #pursueexcellence #twentytwenty

No comments:

Post a Comment