Rugged Individualist. Certified USA Triathlon Coach & NASM Personal Trainer, Men's Self Improvement Coach. President of Go Farther Sports. National Ranked Triathlete & 100 Mile Grand Slam Ultrarunner, only the fourth New Yorker to finish four of the oldest and most prestigious 100 mile ultramarathons in the U.S. in only 10 weeks.

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

The Search For an Off-Road Ironman

I think insane thoughts all the time.

But I like it. That is what makes me, well, me.

Apparently, I'm not alone though. Especially when it comes to triathlon and ultras. And maybe marrying them together to get a great new endurance sport.

About a decade ago, a lot of us triathletes were actually thinking about taking the Ironman distance (2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run) and actually going off-road with it. Not just off-road though, but with extreme terrain consistent with some of the ultrarunning races.

And some person actually had a great venue for it! Rifle, Colorado. Perfect mountainous terrain, finishers would come in around 24 hours, just like the 100 mile ultramarathon, it would be great.

The event did actually sell out at 200 people, but for some strange reason, the event was cancelled.

Although the idea was still floated around many times, I don't think anyone really took it seriously.

Until now.

I just did a Google search and found this little gem, the X-Man UK, set to go off on July 14 of this year.


According to the website, the bike is extremely grueling and much of it would take place at night. Perfect!

Although my season is already set this year, I might actually try entering into this race next year, if it happens, and if it is as grueling as it seems.

Plus, if a person or sports company can actually set one of these state-side this year, I would be the first to sign up!

Maybe it's now time to tune my mountain bike up. :-)

1 comment:

  1. We're hosting one a little close to home: The Wilderman. Check it out at http://endracing.com/wilderman. Registration is already open for 2014!

    ReplyDelete