Rugged Individualist. Certified USA Triathlon Coach & NASM Personal Trainer, Men's Self Improvement Coach. President of Go Farther Sports. National Ranked Triathlete & 100 Mile Grand Slam Ultrarunner, only the fourth New Yorker to finish four of the oldest and most prestigious 100 mile ultramarathons in the U.S. in only 10 weeks.

Monday, May 6, 2013

Next Up, the Long Island Greenbelt 50k!

Less than 8 weeks to go before this Staten Islander attempts the first leg of the Grand Slam of Ultrarunning, the Western States 100.

I can truly say that I'm ready for it. Mentally and physically.

With some time left before the race on June 29, the trick is maintaining that mental and physical edge.

My philosophy about this is not to go into maintenance mode at all. That would mean backing off a bit on training. I think that, with some time left before Western States, the best thing to do is to try to IMPROVE on it. This would keep the focus sharp while moving the goals up a little to increase my chances of success even more.

So why not race this weekend?

I did my rear sweeping duties for 50k at the North Face Endurance Challenge at Bear Mountain this weekend. It was the slowest 50k I've ever done.

Time to change gears! I'll be doing the Long Island Greenbelt 50k this Saturday (May 11) and I'll be racing it.

The graph shows 25k of the Long Island 50k race; since the 50k race is two loops, just double the graph above to get the 50k. Although not as bad as the North Face Endurance Challenge 50k, there is still about 5000+ feet of elevation gain in the 50k, so the course is nothing to sneeze at.


I know I'm the fittest I've been recently. I want to put it to the test now and see what happens.

Anyone want to race me this weekend? :-)

-------

The day after the race (Sunday May 12), I'll be at Great Kills Park for Brick Training. Anyone who wants to do a swim/bike brick is invited to come. Be at the parking lot near the beach at 8AM. See you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment