Rugged Individualist. Certified USA Triathlon Coach & NASM Personal Trainer, Men's Self Improvement Coach. President of Go Farther Sports. National Ranked Triathlete & 100 Mile Grand Slam Ultrarunner, only the fourth New Yorker to finish four of the oldest and most prestigious 100 mile ultramarathons in the U.S. in only 10 weeks.

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Mt.Beacon Short Report - In a word, FANTASTIC!

I'm keeping it short here.

What a weekend. First, volunteering for the High Rock Challenge on Saturday morning. Being the rabbit, I totalled about 12 rugged trail miles altogether.

But here was the best part of the weekend!

A nice group of about 7-9 hardcore ultra runners met at Mr. Beacon in the Hudson Valley Saturday night and proceeded to climb and descend a 1 mile long, 1000ft climb trail from the trail head to the top of Mr.Beacon overnight, simulating the exact conditions that would be encountered in a hilly 100 mile race. In the end, we climbed the hill 7 times, then descended the rugged trail that definitely taxed the quadriceps muscles. On the last climb, we fast-hiked an extra mile to the fire tower and climbed to the top to see a magnificent sunrise, a great finish to one of the most strenuous workouts I've ever done.

The totals for the overnight torture? 16 miles of running, about 7500 feet of climbing. Excellent!

What a great group of people to be with! Talk about pushing me to my limits, there is so much talent in this group that I know I can learn a lot from. They definitely know how to handle extremes in every aspect of the word. Although I had my moments of weeknesses, I handled the training very well! Although I still feel that I need to get even better for the last 9 weeks of training, the fact of the matter is that never in my wildest dreams have I thought to become super-fit like this! I just hope it carries over to the Grand Slam races this summer.

More info and pics to follow soon. As of now, I'm definitely due a nap. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment