Rugged Individualist. Certified USA Triathlon Coach & NASM Personal Trainer, Men's Self Improvement Coach. President of Go Farther Sports. National Ranked Triathlete & 100 Mile Grand Slam Ultrarunner, only the fourth New Yorker to finish four of the oldest and most prestigious 100 mile ultramarathons in the U.S. in only 10 weeks.

Friday, January 11, 2019

UTMB in 2019, And...Ironman Training?

So, I got into UTMB.

Yep, that race with Europe, the mountains, running for days and nights and all that.

Uh oh...


I'm not sure if fate was smiling at me or having a practical joke at my expense. Hopefully I won't end up like that guy above.

I think I would have to be standing most of the time to make progress to the finish, right?

At least the race is a bit out of my way of my triathlon season. UTMB is in late August. Ironman Ireland is in June, and the USA Triathlon Nationals are in the beginning of August. I can fill July with some local triathlons too.

---

Training? Will still be the same. Sort of.


Then again...

Seriously though, I think only two or three trips to Mt. Tammany might be the way to go here. I need to be a fast road runner for triathlons, so I have to primarily practice my speed on the roads.

I will do a lot more local trails though, for general all-around off-road fitness. I figure some loops at Sourland Mountain with some of the guys at the club gearing up for Naked Bavarian and Bear Mountain will help. And then there's some new additions:


Sassquad Racing and Running

Fueled by Doughnuts - Wayne Pacconi

Both of these groups seem to have some nice local trail runs each week, which is nice.

---

Truly though, training won't change that much. There is a plan here, and I know I can do very well in each one of the big races that I do, including UTMB.

Off for a 6 mile run now. On roads. Hasta La Vista!

No comments:

Post a Comment