Rugged Individualist. Certified USA Triathlon Coach & NASM Personal Trainer, Men's Self Improvement Coach. President of Go Farther Sports. National Ranked Triathlete & 100 Mile Grand Slam Ultrarunner, only the fourth New Yorker to finish four of the oldest and most prestigious 100 mile ultramarathons in the U.S. in only 10 weeks.

Friday, January 25, 2019

Frosty Fat Sass Strategy

My first race of 2019 is upon me. It comes in the form of a 3 hour trail run, called the Frosty Fat Sass.


As you can see, it's a free race. We just have to contribute food for the aid station and donate a tidy amount to the park's conservancy, which I feel is a great deal!

I've done this race last year, but I only did the 5k version since I had the Rocky Raccoon 100 the following week. Since I have no Rocky Raccoon 100 this year, I'm free to up the distance a little, to 3 hours.

The course is a 5k loop at South Mountain Reservation, so we have to complete as many 5k loops as we can in the 3 hour time frame. if the conditions are okay, I should be able to make 6 laps, or 18.6 miles. These are trails, but they are not too technical, so I'm hoping I can cover each loop in 30 minutes. We did have rain yesterday, so it's a possibility that the conditions might be a little slower. I'll see when I get there.

My training has been very good of late, so I think I have those 6 laps in me. I know that might entail very little time at the aid station, but that's okay; I'll spend more time at the aid station once my 3 hours are up and the race is over.

I have a good amount of friends doing this race, so there is a lot of moral support. And I will be able to cheer on the friends running for 6 hours afterwards also!

Temperatures should be seasonably cool, so at least we have the weather in our favor. I want to rock this; wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment