Rugged Individualist. Certified USA Triathlon Coach & NASM Personal Trainer, Men's Self Improvement Coach. President of Go Farther Sports. National Ranked Triathlete & 100 Mile Grand Slam Ultrarunner, only the fourth New Yorker to finish four of the oldest and most prestigious 100 mile ultramarathons in the U.S. in only 10 weeks.

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Getting Down to Race Weight for Leadville 2013

So I'm going to Leadville in 2013.

I was thoroughly psyched when I did extremely well in the Vermont 100. My thesis, which was born during my demise at Leadville in 2010 (showing that triathlon training is versatile and strong enough to use in ultras) was proven to be true. I lost the weight and gained the muscle needed to tackle the hills of Vermont.

But this is Leadville. This is the Rockies. Hope Pass is over 3000 feet of elevation at once. With no oxygen, of course.

I'm going to have to get in even better shape than this season.

Especially when looking at this:



The picture above is a belt buckle everyone gets if they go under 25 hours in the race. Look how huge it is.

Now believe me, I know, I should just focus on finishing the race first. But I will tell you something. It might make me train even harder and be even more disciplined if I focus on this goal also. It's a great award to earn, especially when it comes from one of the most difficult races in the world.

So how to train even harder?

Well, a few things can be done. First, I'm already down to 185 pounds, compared to over 200 pounds from last year. And I'm also in great base triathlon shape, compared to last year. Last year I basically started triathlon training from scratch.

This year, all I need to do is maintain this base for a couple of months, which requires that I do a good amount of easy paced training in swimming, cycling, and running, which is not strenuous at all. Then start the real training in December.

Secondly, I get more disciplined in my diet. That means get more primal.

Now yes, this is a tall order. I am part Italian after all, and I like eating bread. But bread is one of the worst things I can put into my body.

Hopefully the fear of this race on my schedule and my failure in it the first time around will keep me focused on diet.

If all goes well, I should be able to lose about 15 more pounds and hit 170 pounds for race weight. If I can toe the line at 170 pounds, I should have a good chance at doing well in the race.

My lightness should compensate for the loss of performance at altitude, or so I hope. Less weight to carry around over 100 miles and all that.

Just a final mention that the race did spur me on this week; my drive is back and I'm out there doing my training again.

It's going to be a very interesting year next year. And I look forward to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment