Rugged Individualist. Certified USA Triathlon Coach & NASM Personal Trainer, Men's Self Improvement Coach. President of Go Farther Sports. National Ranked Triathlete & 100 Mile Grand Slam Ultrarunner, only the fourth New Yorker to finish four of the oldest and most prestigious 100 mile ultramarathons in the U.S. in only 10 weeks.

Thursday, October 11, 2018

Calculating Ironman Goal Times for Ironman Ireland

As a lot of people know I plan to run Ironman Ireland right on my 50th Birthday, June 23, 2019. Keep in mind that I set a PR in the Ironman distance way back in 1996 Ironman Canada with a time of 10:36:37. As a 50 year old, I wish to break this PR that I got during my prime years. So I'll need to get in some pretty smart training and diet decisions before that day.

Anyway, I've ran some calculations for time here. Below are two such calculations. One, the aggressive time, is for qualifying for Ironman Hawaii qualification. The second, less aggressive goal is just to break my PR time. I'll try to keep this short. 

I always swim for 1 hour in Ironman races. Sometimes less, but never more than an hour. T1 and T2 are combined for 10 minutes for both. It can be a long transition so I made it the worst case scenario for transitions.

The bike and the run are the big factors here. I've already proven I can hold 22MPH in a half Ironman race. I know I can go more at that speed. The aggressive goal will reflect a 22MPH time for my bike over 112 miles. The less aggressive goal will be at 21MPH. As for the marathon run, both need to be under 4 hours to get my goals. I say it's quite make-able if the training goes right.

So, I will have my work cut out for me to try to get that aggressive time. This is going to take a lot of core training and a stellar diet to get down to race weight. If all goes well, I know I can hit those marks!

It's going to be fun trying to hit those goals in training! I'm ready for the task. I start my training in earnest on December 10, but my diet and the core training are already starting. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment