Rugged Individualist. Certified USA Triathlon Coach & NASM Personal Trainer, Men's Self Improvement Coach. President of Go Farther Sports. National Ranked Triathlete & 100 Mile Grand Slam Ultrarunner, only the fourth New Yorker to finish four of the oldest and most prestigious 100 mile ultramarathons in the U.S. in only 10 weeks.

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Thoughts - February 24 - It's Relay Time!!!

The relay team is set! I'm going SIXTH.

Our two fastest people will be going first and last, where their speed might actually count.

Tonight is the last day for Thursday Night at the Races at the Armory Track. And the relay is the last event of the night.

The relay will involve 10 men sprinting 200m each (1 lap), then handing off the baton to the next person in the rotation.

Everyone will do the 200m sprint 5 times.

So we have 50 laps of the track, hence 49 baton exchanges in the whole race. That's a heck of a lot of exchanges.

And a heck of a lot of opportunities for things to go wrong.

Personally, I have 10 of those baton exchanges to worry about, 5 of them coming to me, and 5 of them being handed off to someone else. This will occupy my mind the whole day.

Never mind that sprinting hard might invite potential injury to myself. Nah, that might only kill a big portion of my season. 

It's the baton drop I'm REALLY worried about, where I can potentially lose precious seconds if not done right.

Sounds about logical, right? ;-)

Seriously though, I will monitor my sprints very carefully, and if there are any warning signs that might signal an injury, I will back off the rest of the sprints. After all, this race ultimately is about having fun.

My serious races are later.

For all the nervousness that is exhibited here, I'm actually really excited and ready to go. The races start at 7PM, so wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment