Rugged Individualist. Certified USA Triathlon Coach & NASM Personal Trainer, Men's Self Improvement Coach. President of Go Farther Sports. National Ranked Triathlete & 100 Mile Grand Slam Ultrarunner, only the fourth New Yorker to finish four of the oldest and most prestigious 100 mile ultramarathons in the U.S. in only 10 weeks.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Thoughts - February 23 - Bring On The Season!!!

The double digit runs are starting to get more frequent now.

Last Sunday, I ran the Cherry Tree 10 Miler (looks like I'm mentioned here) at a pretty fast clip. Fast for me, that is. Some runners consider 77 minutes for 10 miles a walk in the park.

This morning, a nice looking 10 miler in one of the colder mornings of the season (19F). Despite the cold, this run felt quite easy.

Next Sunday will be a 20 miler with some people in the Staten Island Athletic Club. Although some will be looking to push the pace, I'll be lying back a little and enjoying my run.

Hey, ultramarathon runners don't really have to worry about speed, right?

All in all, I hope to make my third 50 mile week of the new season. I hope to hold steady at 50 for a couple of more weeks before I really start to build the volume for Massanutten.

Although my training for these ultras will be similar to what I did for Vermont, last year, there are some striking differences to note.

One, I'm doing a lot of smaller races this year along with the ultras. This DOES put some speed into the mix. It'll be interesting to see what kind of results I see in ultras with the speed added.

Secondly, it's not just one ultra I'm training for. There are several ultras on my list, including two 100 mile races (maybe 3 if I include Grindstone this fall). This very active season will need to be managed very carefully to avoid any overtraining and injury. That means building rest and recovery into the training.

Last, but not least, I will also be doing several triathlons this year. I especially love triathlon training because the addition of swimming and cycling really provides a nice balance to training for an ultra. This of course minimizes injuries and makes the training a lot more fun.

Am I amped for this season? Sure! It's February and I already have a couple of races under my belt, including an ultra. I'm part of a relay at the Armory tomorrow, and I'm looking at the Terrapin Mountain 50k (topograph) next month for my next ultra.

Let's get it on!

No comments:

Post a Comment