Rugged Individualist. Certified USA Triathlon Coach & NASM Personal Trainer, Men's Self Improvement Coach. President of Go Farther Sports. National Ranked Triathlete & 100 Mile Grand Slam Ultrarunner, only the fourth New Yorker to finish four of the oldest and most prestigious 100 mile ultramarathons in the U.S. in only 10 weeks.

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Some Holiday Lake 50k++ Notes

The temperature at the start was 24 degrees. Perfect temperature to wear my shorts! 

I only knew about the 24 degree temperature when I saw the water in my
bottle turn to an icy slush and asked another runner about it. I also
found my cap frozen to my head when I tried to adjust it.

As a New Yorker running in Virginia, I almost forgot what running on trails is like
without the snow. I was waiting for the inevitable slip, fall, and bruised backside,
but strangely, it didn't happen.

I must make it my business to avoid horse dung on the bridle trails.
Running *through* it will not give me a noticeable advantage in the race.

Eating Twizzlers is not easy to do when cold.

What's with the plus signs (50k++)? Remember that a David Horton mile is
always longer than a standard mile.

Expensive transponder scoring is NOT necessary in an ultra race for
accurate and fast results.

And finally...

When finishing a David Horton race, expect a handshake from him
immediately (or hug, if you're a woman). Small gestures like these are
what makes people come back to his races time and time again.

No comments:

Post a Comment