Rugged Individualist. Certified USA Triathlon Coach & NASM Personal Trainer, Men's Self Improvement Coach. President of Go Farther Sports. National Ranked Triathlete & 100 Mile Grand Slam Ultrarunner, only the fourth New Yorker to finish four of the oldest and most prestigious 100 mile ultramarathons in the U.S. in only 10 weeks.

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Ready for Vermont!

I'm ready for Vermont.

Vermont Start Line. Ready to Rumble...Again!!!

Yesterday morning's 6 mile run in the Staten Island Greenbelt felt way too good for a person who struggled for 100 miles two weeks ago. So physically, I feel good to go.

And I feel like I have the mental edge also.

I'm trying to figure out why I feel I'm close to 100% recovered.

Maybe getting blisters in the Western States race was a blessing in disguise. It forced me to slow down earlier than I wanted to, maybe?  Enough so that I didn't expend all of my energy in that race?

And maybe I'm itching to go because I feel I can get a much better time in Vermont than I did at Western States. Yes, I am glad I finished, and it took a heck of a lot of painful steps to get me there, but in the back of my mind I'm still not wholly satisfied with my time there. I'm sorry, but I'll never be satisfied when I feel that there is a need for improvement.

That's my Type "A" Perfectionist voice talking.

Oh I know that, at the end of the year, I'll be submitting my name for the Western States lottery again. I already qualified for it by finishing that race. I can do better in that race, and would like to get a shot at it again.

Western States lottery...Put me back in!!! :-)


But back to Vermont. One person asked me if I was going to try to eclipse my PR of 21 hours and 24 minutes for this race this year. I didn't say yes or no, but hedged my bet in saying that I'll be using the same strategy this year as I did last year for Vermont. If the planets align right, then maybe I have a shot at it. But in the back of my mind, I still have to consider the entire Grand Slam in general and might have to play it safe when push comes to shove.

Anyway, we have a little more than a week to go before Vermont. And things are looking good!

Here's to one more week of tapering in the Staten Island Greenbelt before the 2nd leg of the Grand Slam of Ultrarunning!

At the Greenbelt Nature Center ready for a trail run.

------

We're up to 31 members of the DREGS who want to do triathlon and ultras!

Love it. I would love to see every one of you! The online chat is OK, but it's the personal meetings that I look forward to. If you can, please try to make some of the meetups if you can.

And remember, you don't need me to make meetups of your own. Well, maybe my approval. But I think the site automatically approves meetups without my approval when 3 people sign up for your meetups. So it's encouraged by all in the group to arrange some meetups, even if you think only a few people will come.

Anyway, for this week, there will be an Open Water Swim at Midland Beach tonight, provided it doesn't rain. If there is a possibility, I'll be taking some running clothes with me and running a short run (about 4-5 miles) along Fr. Capodanno Rd. to compensate for the swim.

The swim meetup to the DREGS group is here:

http://www.meetup.com/Staten-Island-Dregs-Triathlon-and-Ultrarunning-Group/events/126018862/

Remember that we also have people doing the NYC Triathlon as well. I intend to go out there and cheer them on! If you're interested in coming along, let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment